Wednesday, May 17, 2006

An Amazing Stamina

The couple upstairs has a stamina that amazes me. Maybe I'm just naive. I'm certainly inexperienced.

I have never fought with a girlfriend. It's not really in my personality. In Brazil girlfriends have tried to provoke me, and when I won't take the bait, they call me cold. So I break up with them. If a girlfriend causes or imagines problems so bad that we can't resolve them calmly and rationally, well, it just wasn't meant to be, was it?

But the couple upstairs, well, they asonish me. I got home from a pelada about two hours ago, and they were fighting when I arrived. And they're still fighting now. Where do they find the energy? Shouting is hard work. It's only the woman who yells, I don't know what the man does. She yells -- he's useless, a bum, and so on. And then it gets quiet. And then, fifteen minutes later, there comes the sound of something heavy hitting the floor, and more yelling. (Once, months ago, there was the sound of pots and pans being thrown. That was the one time I have seen the police involved. One of the other neighbors called them.) And then they get quiet, I hear nothing, I think it's over. But it isn't over. Even if they stop yelling for the night, they'll be back at it before the week is over. Where do they find the energy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home